Iran Press Review: 04 Sept.
Hojjat-al Eslam Seyyed Reza Taghavi, the Chairman of the Council for the Convergence of Conservatives proclaims:
- "Let us not allow them to set divisions between conservatives."
- "We work with the body of the current of conservatism, and the current of conservatism is not a party; but rather wants to strengthen [conservative] unity and convergence when facing other parties."
- The Deputy Speaker of Iran’s Parliament [Majlis], Mohammad Hassan Aboutorabi Fard notes: "No minister’s impeachment exists on the parliament’s agenda."
- Etemad's lead article discusses the relationship between Judge Saeed Mortazavi and Babak Zanjani both of whom are imprisoned on corruption charges.
- Etemad further reports that the famed Tehran University Professor, Sadegh Zibakalam "was present in the Revolutionary Court" today. He reportedly exclaimed: "I have no lawyer and my lawyer is God."
Nosrat-Allah Tajik, a prominent reformist theoretician, explains why "the Muslims consider the United States guilty of beheading Stephen Satloff:
- "This group [IS] entered the Syrian and Iraqi theaters of war with effective, and direct financial support of three regional states, meaning Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Qatar... which are regional allies of the United States."
- "Some Muslims desire to revenge United States invasion of two Islamic countries..."
- "The worldwide Islamophobic project has created a wave of hatred against Muslims internationally..."
- "[United States’s] opposition to Iran's policies [are also to blame]... and attempt to spread Iranophobia..."
Military and Security
Supreme Leader Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei addresses the Assembly of Experts:
- "In spite of the insistence of the Westerners, the Americans in particular, that these movements [Islamic State] have nothing to do with them, based on various evidence, there is no doubt that these movements are created by the Western powers and their regional agents... This in turn puts a big question mark next to the slogan of human rights, democracy and freedom of the West..."
- "There are some people in the region, and even in this country, who believe: 'In the face of the West, we only have one solution, which is capitulation! If we don't capitulate on our own, they will force us to capitulation by the means of political and economic sanctions and military might.' This analysis is wrong and dangerous. The realities of the world and the region demonstrate the weakening of the West. We must understand these realities well in order to avoid incorrect analysis."
- "Supporters of the regime of the Islamic Republic in the region constitute our strategic depth, but we also have a strategic depth in Latin America and important parts of Asia which must be utilized correctly."
- Admiral Ali Shamkhani, Secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council reported to the Assembly of Experts instead of Major General Qassem Suleimani, the Commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Quds-Force (IRGC-QF):
- "Doubtlessly, this unreal display of the face of Islam provides the Zionist regime with an exceptional opportunity to continue its merciless slaughter of innocent Muslims of Palestine..."
- Tasnim News Agency provides a short notice regarding Suleimani's absence.
- Fars News Agency reports that Iran’s Navy repelled an attempt by pirates to steal an Iranian cargo-vessel near Bab al-Mandeb.
- The Wall Street Journal reports today that: "A new round of talks to seal a comprehensive nuclear deal between Iran and six major world powers will start Sept. 18 in New York, Western diplomats said Wednesday. The two sides had said negotiations would resume ahead of the U.N. General Assembly meeting in New York. For the past six months, the talks have taken place in Vienna."
- Reuters additionally reports that: "Iran and the United States met in Geneva for bilateral talks on Thursday as international diplomacy intensifies to end a decade-old dispute over Tehran's atomic activities by a new deadline in late November. The office of European Union foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton confirmed Iran and six world powers would hold their first negotiating round since they failed to meet a July 20 target date for an agreement in New York on Sept. 18."
- Resalat-News reports drops in the global price of gold, running a headline which reads: "With a 25 dollar decrease: gold has reached its lowest price point in 11 weeks."
- Ali Fazeli, head of Iran’s guilds-office exclaims that "there is more than 22 billion dollars of smuggled imports in the country." He went to report that the presence of these goods, which were "mostly clothing and shoes" hurt the guilds.
- Reuters reports that: "Iranian Oil Minister Bijan Zanganeh said Tehran would continue to bypass sanctions after the United States penalised a number of companies for violating sanctions imposed on Iran, mostly in connection with its nuclear programme."
- Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty reports that: "The Revolutionary Guards are reported to have put up signs detailing plans to build a cultural and sports center on the site of the Baha'i cemetery in Shiraz, the capital of Fars Province. Remains that were disinterred during initial excavations in April are said to have been placed in a nearby trench. Heiner Bielefeldt, UN Special Rapporteur on freedom of religion, said in a statement on September 4 that "attacks on cemeteries are unacceptable" and a "deliberate violation" of religious freedom."
- Asr Iran reports that Major General Qassem Suleimani, Iran’s IRGC-QF Chief, is in Amerli, Iraq.
- Fars News Agency captures members of Iran’s Assembly of Experts meeting with Supreme Leader Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei.
- Iranian Students News Agency documents a polo-game for the celebration of Qazvin Day.